Thursday, June 24, 2010

Trying New Things - Food Rants and Raves

Came home today to find my flaxseed in the mail! Super excited about trying to use it in my Green Monsters! I am just trying to find small ways to become a healthier eater and trying to see food more as fuel for my body than just something I consume!

Well, that inspired me to post about some of the  new foods I have tried this week... Bagel Thins, Sandwich Thins, and Greek Yogurt. I love, love, love the bagel thins... everyone tells you to stay away from bagels b/c of high calories, however now I can enjoy one at 110 calories (BOTH SIDES) and consume some whole grains. I even found Philadelphia Low-fat Strawberry Cream Cheese at 2tbl./40 cals. Really hit the spot for my craving of bagels. Also, been eating 1/2 of a bagel with PB for breakfast along side a small green monster, great way to start the day!

A lot like the bagel thins is Sandwich Thins which I enjoyed with avocado and turkey for lunch the other day. It was yummy and another way to get in some whole grains! However, there are many breads out there that are low in cal like Nature's Own Honey Wheat Light 2 slices/80 cals. So, its a toss up on the healthy side, but a good way to change up the sandwiches!

One last new food item Greek Yogurt... I have heard SO much about this product and how great the protein is in them, but I was hesitant to test it out. I just was afraid of the taste and texture. However, I was surprised by the texture was not strange at all... the yogurt just tastes very plain. Thought I had the plain flavor, but I actually picked up the honey vanilla and did not find it to taste anything like its name. I just added some fresh raspberries to the mix and enjoyed this high protein snack after working out. Don't think I will pick this one up again at $1 6 oz/130 cal. I'll probably just stick to my light regular yogurt.

Well, again I would like to just point out I am NOT a healthy nut nor workout junkie, but I know its the small things that can turn into bigger things and maybe just maybe become a habit! I hope I did not bore you and instead inspired you to think about what you are eating and why you are eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment


hit counter
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.